Looks like you're not a member? Here at BMWBOX, we ♥ BMWs.

We’re a family full of enthusiasts from car detailing bods, performance freaks, photography experts and mechanical maniacs.

1 Series - Which Engine?!

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Topic author
Veteran
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

1 Series - Which Engine?!

Postby bennn » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:47 am

Hi guys.

We need to get the Mrs a new car and she's decided she wants a 1 series.

She doesn't care about spec / engine etc as long as it is either white, black or grey and I don't really care I just want something as cheap as possible.

At the moment I'm looking at the 118d's but the other option is a 116i.

I want to spend as little as possible to get the best car and it needs to be fairly cheap to insure because she has 9 points ( so a 135i is out I'm afraid)

I will have to drive it occasionally which is why I'm keener to go for a 118d.

My issue with going for the derv is that she will be using it for mainly small journeys and I know they don't like doing small mileage. It will probably get used on a long run once in a while though and I won't mind taking it out for a thrashing every now and then.

I don't know a great deal about them but haven't heard good things about either engine and have tried to get her in something else (I offered to give her the touring but she didn't want it) so I think we're stuck with a 1 series of some description.

CEO (Founder)

Re: 1 Series - Which Engine?!

Postby Jamie » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:03 am

Presume your looking at a F20?

If its an F20, with the type of driving your mrs does i'd be inclined to get the 116i.

They are a peppy 1.6 litre turbocharged lump, which are pretty nippy, which have tuning options should you wish.

I had a 118d F21 (the 3 door version) which i found a bit lacking all round , noisy unit , not very quick , but very economical & 20 quid a year tax.

However if your looking at the older generation E87/E88 then avoid the 116i like the plague. THey have various VVT issues, hesitation - lack of power etc.

118D in the E87 will be much like it is in the F20, although a bit more agricultural as its the older M47 lump which isn't 'twin power' turbo.
2005 Titan Silver e85 Z4 3.0i se
2005 Sapphire Black e46 320cd Sport

Instagram - jay_bmw_

Topic author
Veteran

Postby bennn » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:30 pm

Cheers mate.

We will be looking at the older ones, so gather the derv will be the best option.

I'd prefer it anyway as the torque should hopefully make it a bit less painful when I do need to drive it.

Anything particular to look out for on them?

Veteran

Postby R6HNN » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:00 pm

Just to echo what Jamie says really, various electrical and timing chain issues on any petrol E87 smaller than the 120i. I'm currently hunting for one for my Mrs too, and ive narrowed it down to the 120d or ideally a 125i/130i

CEO (Founder)

Postby Jamie » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:53 pm

Usual swirl flaps & later e87s dpf problems mate

Anything other than that they're pretty reliable!

The timing chains can be an issue too on later e87s but 2007< should be okay :)
2005 Titan Silver e85 Z4 3.0i se
2005 Sapphire Black e46 320cd Sport

Instagram - jay_bmw_

Topic author
Veteran

Postby bennn » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:08 am

Thanks guys. Very helpful. Swirl flaps aren't a problem I'm sure I can do that myself! It will be one of the earlier ones we go for so hopefully no DPF!

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Return to “Car Chit Chat”