Looks like you're not a member? Here at BMWBOX, we ♥ BMWs.

We’re a family full of enthusiasts from car detailing bods, performance freaks, photography experts and mechanical maniacs.

Thinking about getting rid of the E92.....

Veteran
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Thinking about getting rid of the E92.....

Postby bennn » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:39 am

Ben - just wondering why HK Is an essential for you? Its dog shit by any car manufacturers audio upgrades IMO. No comparison to Audi's BOSE systems etc - I just put a decent set of components in & a cheap sub & it sounds 100x better than the HK (again, IMO) only had HK once.
Odd - I had BOSE in my old S3 and don't remember it being better than the HK.

Main reason for me is they are better than the standard speaker set up and I absolutely hate seeing an aftermarket audio set up in a car (I even ripped it all out of that E36 I bought as I couldn't stand the sight of the amp in the back - even at the expense of sound quality)

Have you got a sunstrip with "Jamie" on one side and "Jamie's bitch" on the other to go with your sub in the boot?

CEO (Founder)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Jamie » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:53 am

Fair enough, was the s3 an 8L? The 8P s3 that I maintain is vastly improved over my car even with the speakers & sub in!

Yeah I've got Jamie on my side & Ben on the other ;)
2005 Titan Silver e85 Z4 3.0i se
2005 Sapphire Black e46 320cd Sport

Instagram - jay_bmw_

Veteran

Postby bennn » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:57 am

Fair enough, was the s3 an 8L? The 8P s3 that I maintain is vastly improved over my car even with the speakers & sub in!

Yeah I've got Jamie on my side & Ben on the other ;)
It was the older, horribly shaped, mind-numbingly boring to drive one, so maybe the bose is a bit better in the 8P!

Haha love it! :lol:

CEO (Founder)

Postby Jamie » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:23 am

ah yeah, its all relitive i guess. The HK in the e92 is comparable with the 8P S3 - so technical advances n all that....

Would love to hear the new Bang & Olufsen in the new M6's n stuff!

Instagram - jay_bmw_

Topic author
Veteran

Postby Sanchez » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:39 am

That's one thing that lets the M3 vert's down massively.. the standard interiors compared to the M styled seats of the coupes. :(

I'm quite excited you're even at the stage of going to see M3's at the moment though dude!
Until you just mentioned it I hadn't even noticed that the vert has standard Sport seats :oops: . They are a bit of a let down because the M3 seats are properly nice!

I'm only looking at the moment, Daz. See if it's something that is achievable and to make sure my expectations aren't unrealistic.
I think you will struggle to find an M3 that hasn't had paint dude - to me its not an issue as long as its a good job and the paint matches.....well actually to me it just isn't an issue :lol: (I've got get my rear quarter painted again as the match is slightly off)

In terms of the options must haves for me were the heated seats and the HK.

Whats your budget if you don't mind me asking? Can keep an eye out for then.
I should have added that I don't mind it having had paint, it just needs to match properly. That or I buy a cheaper rusty one that I can have sorted myself because ultimately if it's had a poor paint job I'll want to get it re-done.

I definitely want heated seats and I had HK in my old E46 and I really liked it (I'm not an audiophile). Compared to my absolute dog turd E92 sound system it was brilliant.

Budget wise it depends on what I can get for my E92, but I'd probably say about £7,500. I'm just getting a feel for the market at the moment though, bennn :)
i think ive seen that mystic blue one at a dealer, its been for sale for AAAAAAAGES if i recall it was still about when i was debating an M3 when i got my z4 coupe! The grey interior puts a massive audience off as you'd imagine , and as Darren said, the seats are a let down compared to the coupe. They are still an awesome car to listen to though with the roof down, my mate in work has an SMG vert - took me out in summer, my god its addictive! Sounds like a chain saw :D
There is another one up your way in Barrow but it's bloody miles away and I'm not doing a 4 hour car journey to just have a look! There don't seem to be too many local to me. The next nearest one is in Derby.

I don't mind the idea of the SMG, they seem to be less desirable, more common (at the bottom end of the market at least) and obviously a bit cheaper but I've seen stupid money figures for a replacement pump which kind of put me off them a bit.
Crimson Red E92 325i M Sport.

CEO (Founder)

Postby Darren » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:07 am

I'm only looking at the moment, Daz.
Yeah, mkay. haha. . . . as soon as you know it you'll be "only buying". :lol:

ImageImageImageImage

CEO (Founder)

Postby Jamie » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:08 am

yeah once you drive a good example that e92 will be getting chopped in :lol:

Instagram - jay_bmw_

Veteran

Postby bennn » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:10 am

Yeah I bought mine knowing it would need paint but the price was low enough to cover it - you'll be getting something needing work for circa £7.5k which it sounds like what you are after anyway.

You can get a recon pump for around £500 I think for an SMG one if needed and there is more than a £500 difference between that and an equivalent manual so I wouldn't let that put you off too much.

Out of curiosity why not go for an M3 as a daily drive? Its something they do very well IMO.

CEO (Founder)

Postby Darren » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:15 am

Out of curiosity why not go for an M3 as a daily drive? Its something they do very well IMO.
Controversial statement! :lol: I think a lot of people are scared to use them as a daily. Although my current commute is crying out for an M3 :lol:

ImageImageImageImage

Veteran

Postby bennn » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:31 am

Controversial statement! :lol: I think a lot of people are scared to use them as a daily. Although my current commute is crying out for an M3 :lol:
They do 25 - 30mpg, have 4 seats, are comfy and reliable. Servicing isn't cheap but its time based as well as mileage anyway. I don't see the point in having a car like that an not using it myself.

I've done the 2 car thing before and just found I ended up using the shit box all the time. When it came to sell the car that had been sat in the garage for ages I sort of felt like I hadn't made the most out of owning it.

CEO (Founder)

Postby Darren » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:14 am

They do 25 - 30mpg, have 4 seats, are comfy and reliable. Servicing isn't cheap but its time based as well as mileage anyway. I don't see the point in having a car like that an not using it myself.

I've done the 2 car thing before and just found I ended up using the shit box all the time. When it came to sell the car that had been sat in the garage for ages I sort of felt like I hadn't made the most out of owning it.
Valid point. Although getting back into your car after some time away always feels awesome. I'm the sort of person to follow a pretty steady schedule :lol: Mon-Thurs commutes in a shit box and then a friday commute and all of weekend in a M3 would do me absolutely fine.

ImageImageImageImage

Veteran

Postby bennn » Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:31 am

Valid point. Although getting back into your car after some time away always feels awesome. I'm the sort of person to follow a pretty steady schedule :lol: Mon-Thurs commutes in a shit box and then a friday commute and all of weekend in a M3 would do me absolutely fine.
Problem for me with this was you can't always plan when you fancy giving it some beans. Often I'd find that when the mood struck for a more spirited drive I was in the wrong car (although could have been worse as my daily was a 306 HDI which actually handled like it was on rails :lol: )

The M3 does commuting but the shitbox won't do fun.

I do agree with time away from it making it feel a bit more special though!

Topic author
Veteran

Postby Sanchez » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:43 pm

yeah once you drive a good example that e92 will be getting chopped in :lol:
I'm only looking at the moment, Daz.
Yeah, mkay. haha. . . . as soon as you know it you'll be "only buying". :lol:
Ha. We'll see!

There are a number of reasons I wanted to have it as a weekend car, mostly because I it's difficult to keep the car in really great condition when it's your daily. It will get driven in the winter months, on the nice days at least.
Crimson Red E92 325i M Sport.

Veteran

Postby Jas_Haynes » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:55 pm

I'd have too agree with the idea of having it as a weekend car, I've been using mine as a daily for the past year, and whilst there's no issues at all with it being a daily, it does it well, I just find that I get a bit bored commuting it back and forth too work, so would much rather have a boring daily too use for work and back, then keep the M3 for when I really can enjoy it!

I also wouldn't let the SMG put you off either, my ones an SMG and I've had no issues with it at all. Depends what sorta driving you're doing really, admittedly in start/stop town driving I would rather have the manual, but then when you're having a bit of fun and want the power putting down, I'd rather have the SMG box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Car Chit Chat”