Looks like you're not a member? Here at BMWBOX, we ♥ BMWs.

We’re a family full of enthusiasts from car detailing bods, performance freaks, photography experts and mechanical maniacs.

Thinking about getting rid of the E92.....

Topic author
Veteran
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Thinking about getting rid of the E92.....

Postby Sanchez » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:27 pm

So I'm hoping that in the next six weeks or so we'll be moving house. The house has a decent sized garage (with a maintenance pit!!) and I've had a longing for a project car for a while now too.

I love my E92 and it's been absolutely faultless in the time that I've had it. It's quick enough, comfortable, has some nice toys and subjectively I think it looks great.....but the prospect of a project car is proving pretty hard to resist.

I've had my eye on a few different marques.....a lot of 80s hot hatches (stuff I lusted after as a teenager....R5 GTT, 205 GTi you know the kind) but I had a tidy 205 1.6 GTi which I sold in 2010 so I feel a little bit like been there, done that (contradictory based on what I'm about to say). Recently I've been looking at E46s again......and in particular an M3 (coupe or vert, I'm not overly fussed). They seem to be rock bottom prices right now and one that needs some attention can be had for a relatively small amount off money.

What are people's thought on this idea? Most of the M3s seem to come with a fair few options and it would only be used as a summer car (I'll be rocking a POS the rest of the year) so maintenance cost should be minimal (brake discs for example are still stupidly expensive). Anyone made the 'switch'? I'm not overly handy with the spanners but I'm more than willing to learn and the though of bringing a tired example back up to scratch is really appealing to me.
Crimson Red E92 325i M Sport.

CEO (Founder)

Re: Thinking about getting rid of the E92.....

Postby Darren » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:01 pm

ImageImageImageImage

Topic author
Veteran
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Sanchez » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:09 pm

Ha. Man god has spoken. It's pretty much done. ;)

CEO (Founder)

Postby Darren » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:04 pm

On a more serious note.. I've just been looking at prices and you're right there are some absolute bargains to be had at the moment.

This leads me to think 2 things....

1. More nutters will get their hands on them and end up wrapping them into a tree
2. Point 1 will eventually drive up the price of decent ones as each year turns them into a 'classic'.

ImageImageImageImage

Topic author
Veteran

Postby Sanchez » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:51 am

On a more serious note.. I've just been looking at prices and you're right there are some absolute bargains to be had at the moment.

This leads me to think 2 things....

1. More nutters will get their hands on them and end up wrapping them into a tree
2. Point 1 will eventually drive up the price of decent ones as each year turns them into a 'classic'.
They've definitely fallen to a price where they can be bought by undesirable types. There are already a few examples with Ling Long tyres and questionable modifications.

Appreciating in value would be nice, obviously. But I wouldn't plan on ever getting rid of it to be honest!

Veteran

Postby bennn » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:05 am

I went from a 330 to an E36 M3 to and E46 M3 and like you are looking to, bought at the arse end of the market. In the 2 months I've had mine I've just been sorting a few niggles it seems mechanically sound.

Be careful when you buy it, there are quite a few common and expensive issues and the consumables are expensive too.

Like most E46's watch out for rust, then there is the boot floor issue, the head gasket isn't uncommon on the S54 either (mine went at 84k in 2012 and cost some poor sod £2800 at a main dealer to fix)

But they are awesome to drive it's aside from engine I was surprised how different they are to other E46's

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Veteran

Postby bennn » Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:06 am

Ooooh and if you are after a decent daily I'm getting an E46 330i sport touring in about 2 hours, which will be up for sale soon ;)

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Topic author
Veteran

Postby Sanchez » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:29 pm

I was hoping you might contribute, bennn.

I see a lot of them suffer with rust, my old E46 was beginning to rot and it's a never ending battle, I'd prefer to stay clear of a car with rust. I've also seem the subframe issue too.

Is yours used as a daily? I'm thinking if I can spend some time and money getting it up to scratch it would only really be used in the summer months, and that's why I'm also thinking about a 'vert. I wouldn't rule out a coupe though.

Veteran

Postby Jas_Haynes » Sat Dec 03, 2016 5:49 pm

If you look around enough and find the right one, you'll be surprised what you can pick up for a fair price, I didn't pay top money for mine, and even when you add on the cost of a few little jobs I've had done it still isn't that much money all together!
Obviously with you owning an M3 anyway, you won't need warning or be surprised about the whole 'M Tax' there's seems too be on parts! Altho I must say, repair wise I don't think the E46 M3 is a bad car too work on at all, admittedly I'm a mechanic by trade, but I was expecting it too be a lot worse too work on than what it actually is!

I'd say you've got the right idea about using it more for the summer months, I've had mine a year now and it's always been my daily, and admittedly I've never had any issue with it being that, however I have literally just bought another car too now use as my daily, so I can keep the M more for weekends & shows. Don't get me wrong it's a cracking car and I love driving it, but commuting back and forward too work in it's just a bit disappointing, can't exactly have any fun in it at rush hour!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Veteran

Postby bennn » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:13 pm

I was hoping you might contribute, bennn.

I see a lot of them suffer with rust, my old E46 was beginning to rot and it's a never ending battle, I'd prefer to stay clear of a car with rust. I've also seem the subframe issue too.

Is yours used as a daily? I'm thinking if I can spend some time and money getting it up to scratch it would only really be used in the summer months, and that's why I'm also thinking about a 'vert. I wouldn't rule out a coupe though.
You will struggle with rust mate, especially the cheaper ones. I was quite lucky I think and mine is rust free but I will be cleaning out and undersealing the shit out of the arches. I bet I'll find some rust behind the liners on the front wings too.

I don't use mine daily as I live 10 minutes walk from work, I use it if I have meetings or site visits etc so I guess any miles I do during the week get paid for by work.

I wouldn't be scared off too much by the subframe, you can get the plates welded on for as little as £500 depending where you go, its only if you get one where the boot floor is hanging off and its too far gone that it would be a problem.

Just bear in mind everything is expensive (discs and pads all round are £800 in parts alone, a set of decent tyres is £800 a set) and you should be OK!

I know what you are saying about only using them on nice days but I don't really like having 2 cars, I've done it before and found I used the shitbox to go everywhere and never really drove the nice one for fear of getting it dirty. Cars should be used IMO but I guess thats a personal thing.

Topic author
Veteran

Postby Sanchez » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:48 pm

Yeah it has to be more of an event if you're only driving it every now and then, Jase. I most want a convertible because I think my daughter would love driving around with the roof down. They also seem to be cheaper, or maybe there are just more of them about?

Like you both say, it's going to be important to go into it with my eyes open cost wise! It's another step up cost wise over my E92 (although a set of RFTs are £600 a set!).

Is it wrong that I really like Phoenix Yellow? LSB is the dream though. I love that colour.

CEO (Founder)

Postby Jamie » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:58 pm

They are awesome no doubt! Best time of year to buy a convertible too :D
2005 Titan Silver e85 Z4 3.0i se
2005 Sapphire Black e46 320cd Sport

Instagram - jay_bmw_

Veteran

Postby bennn » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:12 am

Yeah it has to be more of an event if you're only driving it every now and then, Jase. I most want a convertible because I think my daughter would love driving around with the roof down. They also seem to be cheaper, or maybe there are just more of them about?

Like you both say, it's going to be important to go into it with my eyes open cost wise! It's another step up cost wise over my E92 (although a set of RFTs are £600 a set!).

Is it wrong that I really like Phoenix Yellow? LSB is the dream though. I love that colour.
Piss yellow is an awesome colour IMO.

The convertibles and SMG models are both slightly cheaper as these seem to be less in demand.

As Jamie says now is a very good time of year to get a bargain convertible!

Veteran

Postby 748adam » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:23 pm

Postby Chrissyp83 » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:43 pm

If I were to buy a project car tht I was also ising regularly ... would have to be a volvo t5r or saab 9000aero ... I also really like original clio williams As well as the old skool 309gtis. Maybe go left wing and beyond renault 21 turbo monaco ;g

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk
Mr P
Passat B5.5 Sport Variant
PD130 with a subtle twist

Topic author
Veteran

Postby Sanchez » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:46 pm

I saw that M3, Adam. It was cheap enough to sort all the problems. It's not surprising it went very quickly!

I went to look as a Mystic blue M3 vert at a dealer. It was up at over my budget. It seemed okay. No options but it was a manual. It looked like it had seen some paint on all the arches in the past. It had a grey interior too (mega dull). Needless to say I gave it a miss.

CEO (Founder)

Postby Darren » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:10 pm

That's one thing that lets the M3 vert's down massively.. the standard interiors compared to the M styled seats of the coupes. :(

I'm quite excited you're even at the stage of going to see M3's at the moment though dude!

ImageImageImageImage

CEO (Founder)

Postby Jamie » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:25 am

i think ive seen that mystic blue one at a dealer, its been for sale for AAAAAAAGES if i recall it was still about when i was debating an M3 when i got my z4 coupe! The grey interior puts a massive audience off as you'd imagine , and as Darren said, the seats are a let down compared to the coupe. They are still an awesome car to listen to though with the roof down, my mate in work has an SMG vert - took me out in summer, my god its addictive! Sounds like a chain saw :D

Instagram - jay_bmw_

Veteran

Postby bennn » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:28 am

I saw that M3, Adam. It was cheap enough to sort all the problems. It's not surprising it went very quickly!

I went to look as a Mystic blue M3 vert at a dealer. It was up at over my budget. It seemed okay. No options but it was a manual. It looked like it had seen some paint on all the arches in the past. It had a grey interior too (mega dull). Needless to say I gave it a miss.
I think you will struggle to find an M3 that hasn't had paint dude - to me its not an issue as long as its a good job and the paint matches.....well actually to me it just isn't an issue :lol: (I've got get my rear quarter painted again as the match is slightly off)

In terms of the options must haves for me were the heated seats and the HK.

Whats your budget if you don't mind me asking? Can keep an eye out for then.

CEO (Founder)

Postby Jamie » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:33 am

Ben - just wondering why HK Is an essential for you? Its dog shit by any car manufacturers audio upgrades IMO. No comparison to Audi's BOSE systems etc - I just put a decent set of components in & a cheap sub & it sounds 100x better than the HK (again, IMO) only had HK once.

Instagram - jay_bmw_

Return to “Car Chit Chat”