Looks like you're not a member? Here at BMWBOX, we ♥ BMWs.

We’re a family full of enthusiasts from car detailing bods, performance freaks, photography experts and mechanical maniacs.

Another what's it worth thread

Topic author
Veteran
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Another what's it worth thread

Postby bennn » Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:51 pm

My mate is selling my his 330i M sport touring cheap as he's getting a new Tiguan and just can't be arsed with the hassle of selling, I've helped him out with cars a few times now so he's offered it me cheap.

Its got the following issues:
Central locking not working
Overdue a service by 500 miles
Small bits of rust on front arches
Rear wheel is cracked so loses air
Few age related marks

Its a facelift 03 plate and has done 136k with pretty much full service history it is silver with heated black leather and an autobox.

Last time I drove it it seemed to drive really well, interior is presentable.

I'm planning on fixing the locking, putting a replacement alloy on it, servicing it and putting a new MOT on it, its got 6 months but its always good to sell with a fresh ticket IMO.

With the above done what sort of money do you think I should expect for it?

Cheapest M sport touring on eBay is £2495 but has only done 79k and to be honest looks a bit tidier than this one.

CEO (Founder)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Another what's it worth thread

Postby Jamie » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:17 pm

high mileage autobox, asking for trouble imo - especially the GM box fitted to the E46, theyre made of chocolate.

Think its worth a grand if he's lucky with that miles.
2005 Titan Silver e85 Z4 3.0i se
2005 Sapphire Black e46 320cd Sport

Instagram - jay_bmw_

Topic author
Veteran

Postby bennn » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:23 pm

high mileage autobox, asking for trouble imo - especially the GM box fitted to the E46, theyre made of chocolate.

Think its worth a grand if he's lucky with that miles.
Realy? Was hoping for a bit more than that...

My Clubsport had higher mileage and I sold that for £3750...

Also my neighbour sold his Y reg M sport 330d Auto in the same colour combo with 166k as spares or repairs (head gasket went) and got a grand for it - some Polish blokes came and put it in a lorry to take it over there...that was in August.

CEO (Founder)

Postby Jamie » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:33 pm

a clubsport is a rare special edition though isnt it, and a petrol auto estate isnt a desiralbe car with rust & loads of faults.

Im trting to sell my dads 54 plate 318ci m sport coupe with the full m sport kit & full black leather - cant get a grand for that despite little faults.

Instagram - jay_bmw_

CEO (Founder)

Postby Darren » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:39 pm

I'm with Jamie on this one. Give or take a couple hundred quid that's around about the 'worth' I myself would put on such a car.

If you can find someone else who desires it though then obviously it's 'worth' to that person will be higher.

ImageImageImageImage

Topic author
Veteran

Postby bennn » Thu Nov 24, 2016 3:51 pm

Ok cheers guys.

He's said I can have it for £500 so at that I think its still worth a punt.

Think I'll pitch it around the £1500 mark and see how I get on at that its by far the cheapest M-sport estate I can find up for sale at the moment.

Guess we will find out the value if / when it sells.

CEO (Founder)

Postby Darren » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:33 pm

Ok cheers guys.

Think I'll pitch it around the £1500 mark and see how I get on at that its by far the cheapest M-sport estate I can find up for sale at the moment.

At 500.. certainly worth a punt re-listing at 1500!

ImageImageImageImage

Topic author
Veteran

Postby bennn » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:52 pm

Ok cheers guys.

At 500.. certainly worth a punt re-listing at 1500!
Well I need to see around that for it to be worth my while. I need to fix the locking, service it and get a new wheel which will cost me a few hundred, if there is any less than £500 in it for me it's just not worth the hassle. It's got 6 months MOT left and hasn't had any advisories the last few years either.

I've told him I'll have it now anyway so he's dropping it off a week Saturday.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

CEO (Founder)

Postby Jamie » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:18 am

good luck with it ben, hoping your going to have more luck than i am with my dads coupe.

If it isnt gone by next weekend im going to break it, a sport e46 with leather should see 800 quid back , so if you get it for £500 you wont loose on it, if you have somewhere to break it of course.

Instagram - jay_bmw_

Topic author
Veteran

Postby bennn » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:42 am

good luck with it ben, hoping your going to have more luck than i am with my dads coupe.

If it isnt gone by next weekend im going to break it, a sport e46 with leather should see 800 quid back , so if you get it for £500 you wont loose on it, if you have somewhere to break it of course.
Cheers dude - where have you got your Dad's advertised? I thought I would struggle with my Clubsport as I was asking top money but I got more than I wanted and could have sold it about 10 times over on eBay...

I think I will do OK but I guess we will see, nothing ventured nothing gained and all that....plus it won't have the faults when I come to sell it as I'm intending to fix the niggles.

I can store it in my mums shed so I have somewhere to break if needed but I'd rather sell it cheap than have the hassle.

The cheapest 330i touring I can find is a prefacelift, in much worse condition with 170k on it and is up for £1100

https://www.gumtree.com/p/bmw/2000-bmw- ... 1199879656

Likewise one of a similar spec / age with 103k and in better condition is up for over £4k

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004-BMW-330I ... SwMVdYE2bC

Like you both say its ultimately worth what someone will pay but webuyanycar have quoted £545 so its got to be worth more than that!

If I wanted a daily I'd keep it but I only use about a tank of fuel a month in the M3 as it is!

CEO (Founder)

Postby Jamie » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:01 am

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272449648665? ... 1555.l2649

thats it mate.

The thing with your clubsport is it was split mint, hell, i wanted it! lol! Tired e46's now are ten a penny, extremley well looked after clubsports (albeit high miles) are rare beasts still :)

Instagram - jay_bmw_

Topic author
Veteran

Postby bennn » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:16 am

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272449648665? ... 1555.l2649

thats it mate.

The thing with your clubsport is it was split mint, hell, i wanted it! lol! Tired e46's now are ten a penny, extremley well looked after clubsports (albeit high miles) are rare beasts still :)
That doesn't look too bad (although has someone had a go at the rear arch DIY?) and isn't it a well known fact that 4 cylinder BMW engines are shite? Short MOT probably isn't helping either.

Fair point though I guess. This one isn't that bad though, its been looked after, just perhaps not cherished. I will be asking less than half the price of the Clubsport too...

CEO (Founder)

Postby Jamie » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:40 am

yeah theyre terrible, my dad did them. They are shite yea but desireable for young lads trying to get into a BM, like you, i've looked at other equivilent cars for sale for simmlar spec/condition & theyre £1995 ish, and this isn't shifting @ £1150, so its just luck of the draw really

Instagram - jay_bmw_

Topic author
Veteran

Postby bennn » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:43 am

yeah theyre terrible, my dad did them. They are shite yea but desireable for young lads trying to get into a BM, like you, i've looked at other equivilent cars for sale for simmlar spec/condition & theyre £1995 ish, and this isn't shifting @ £1150, so its just luck of the draw really
Good point, I'm sure it will go at some point just waiting for the right person to come along. I would say stick it through another MOT which would help but it won't pass with the airbag light on will it?

CEO (Founder)

Postby Jamie » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:31 am

yeah ive no way of getting it to the MOT station either, no insurance/SORN'ed - like i say, happy to break it next week & then just scrap the shell - shame really, but its on my neighbours drive & dont want to take the piss!

Instagram - jay_bmw_

Topic author
Veteran

Postby bennn » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:35 am

yeah ive no way of getting it to the MOT station either, no insurance/SORN'ed - like i say, happy to break it next week & then just scrap the shell - shame really, but its on my neighbours drive & dont want to take the piss!
God its a ball ache breaking a car though, I did a mates 306 GTI 6 about 10 years ago after he rolled it. We stripped the car in about 2 days but the bits took ages to shift! I'm pretty sure he's still got some of it in the shed!

Saying that in the end we got more than he paid for the car, even though he managed to bend every panel!

CEO (Founder)

Postby Jamie » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:12 am

yeah im not stripping it completley.

Coupe sport kit with sideskirts are £300

Full mint black leather £200

Steering wheel with airbag £100

Alloys £200

weigh the rest in £100

then just take some small bits like the headlights & LED rears, dad should be happy with that.

Instagram - jay_bmw_

Topic author
Veteran

Postby bennn » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:16 am

Sounds easy when you put it like that!

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

CEO (Founder)

Postby Jamie » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:27 am

yea i have room to store the above, and they are stuff which sell like hot cakes on ebay, the rest is just fit for the bin really! Will advertise it on here though for breaking first :)

Instagram - jay_bmw_

Topic author
Veteran

Postby bennn » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:24 am

Was watching this one on eBay and notice its sold now.....pretty much the same as the one I've got but in better condition.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291960634825? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Got mine at the weekend anyway and its definitely in need of some TLC.....

I'm unsure whether or not to bother sorting all the issues and put it for around £2k or just sell it as it is and hope to get a grand.

£300 - £400 would sort all the niggles and sort the bodywork I reckon.

There are a few things I will have to do regardless because it just wont sell otherwise:

It doesn't lock (at all) lock barrel has failed, so I've bought a repair kit. I think the remote locking will work once this has been done as the car lights up when you press unlock on the key, the central locking button inside works perfectly and the boot hatch opens off the fob too.

The engine light is on and it has a rough idle. I've read codes which include O2 sensor error and a lean running issue. I've found a big hole in the intake which from experience will cause of this.

Used it all weekend and it drives nicely - the slush box actually seems to suit the engine quite well!

Have considered keeping it to use over winter to keep the M3 nice and clean but not sure I can be bothered with the insurance hassle etc.

Return to “Car Chit Chat”