Looks like you're not a member? Here at BMWBOX, we ♥ BMWs.

We’re a family full of enthusiasts from car detailing bods, performance freaks, photography experts and mechanical maniacs.

My E46 323Ci AC Schnitzer

Topic author
Veteran
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: My E46 323Ci AC Schnitzer

Postby shabs » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:50 am

Hi, not sure if the 323i had a dual pipe exhaust box. But I have a remus AC Schnitzer exhaust backbox for sale if you're interested.
Yh the 323 exhaust goes from two pipes to single pipe. But I will pm you know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Topic author
Veteran
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

My E46 323Ci AC Schnitzer

Postby shabs » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:57 pm

So only spent a few hours yesterday and today on the car. Had to remove the studs/bolt things for the front mounts of the subframe, these where in there tight. Used a plumbers plier (I call it a plumbers plier don't know what it's actually called, as you can tell I don't know much aha).

Then got the underbody where the weld in kits going to go all ground back to bare metal to inspect for any other hairline or hidden cracks. There was only one spot on the front right mounting location which looked like there could have been a crack while the paint was there. But once it was all stripped back to bare metal nothing. So yay.

On all the cracks I drilled stop holes to prevent it spreading further. The instructions provided with the kit said to use a 1.5mm bit, smallest I had was a 2mm so used that.

What I haven't pictured is, I offered up all the pieces of the kit, and marked the locations for the plug welds and drilled them through as well. A few have not yet been done as the kit requires some shaping, so waiting for the welder to come round so we can weld it and shape it then.

Here's some pics of how it looked after it was stripped back.
IMG_2339.JPG
IMG_2339.JPG (152 KiB) Viewed 5567 times
IMG_2340.JPG
IMG_2340.JPG (175.48 KiB) Viewed 5567 times
IMG_2342.JPG
IMG_2342.JPG (151.64 KiB) Viewed 5567 times

I then went and cut the boot floor to gain access to the top of the subframe mountains brackets. Used the plate in the kit as a template. And cut slightly smaller than the plate. Looks as bad in there as it does on the underneath aha.

I couldn't really get anything inside there to get it to bare metal so I gave up.

After that, the underneath was wiped down so I could spray weld through primer to protect from rust. This was applied to the insides of the kit as well.

So basically ready for the welder to come round on Sunday.

Veteran

Postby Casper » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:44 am

Looks like a bitch of a job! :? I have done the rear bushes before (nearly broke a 10 tonne press getting the old ones out) but that’s about as far as I went. Tbh I can't be bothered anymore. Just pay my mate's lads to do it his garage and I work an extra Sunday to pay for it :lol:
///BMW M3 Monte Carlo Edition DCT/// Build Thread - Instagram - lord.casper

Topic author
Veteran

Postby shabs » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:59 am

Looks like a bitch of a job! :? I have done the rear bushes before (nearly broke a 10 tonne press getting the old ones out) but that’s about as far as I went. Tbh I can't be bothered anymore. Just pay my mate's lads to do it his garage and I work an extra Sunday to pay for it :lol:
TBH it looks more difficult than it is. Allot of work yes.

Also doesn't sound good about the bushes, I've just bought a complete polly kit for the car, and have not got access to a press or anything :/.

Veteran

Postby Casper » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:19 pm

Looks like a bitch of a job! :? I have done the rear bushes before (nearly broke a 10 tonne press getting the old ones out) but that’s about as far as I went. Tbh I can't be bothered anymore. Just pay my mate's lads to do it his garage and I work an extra Sunday to pay for it

Also doesn't sound good about the bushes, I've just bought a complete polly kit for the car, and have not got access to a press or anything :/.

I didn't have a press at the time either. After breaking my vice trying to push them out I gave up and went to the garage down the road to use his tools. Even then it was a struggle. Well and truly stuck in.

Topic author
Veteran

Postby shabs » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:27 pm

Looks like a bitch of a job! :? I have done the rear bushes before (nearly broke a 10 tonne press getting the old ones out) but that’s about as far as I went. Tbh I can't be bothered anymore. Just pay my mate's lads to do it his garage and I work an extra Sunday to pay for it

I didn't have a press at the time either. After breaking my vice trying to push them out I gave up and went to the garage down the road to use his tools. Even then it was a struggle. Well and truly stuck in.

Oooh. Didn't think of a vice. It should help with some of them if not all. I have a vice somewhere at home.

If the bushes all come in by next week. I'm hoping to get it back in it's wheels by the end of next weekend. Then start doing some other odds and ends before she comes back on road

Veteran

Postby Casper » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:49 pm

Oooh. Didn't think of a vice. It should help with some of them if not all. I have a vice somewhere at home.

If the bushes all come in by next week. I'm hoping to get it back in it's wheels by the end of next weekend. Then start doing some other odds and ends before she comes back on road

Also if the new ones are a little tight you can freeze them and then have ago. This will make them shrink a little bit. When they warm up they expand again.

Topic author
Veteran

Postby shabs » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:05 pm

[/quote]
Also if the new ones are a little tight you can freeze them and then have ago. This will make them shrink a little bit. When they warm up they expand again.[/quote]

Your a legend. Wish a knew that when I did the trailing arm bushes. Fitted poly ones a while back and they where a tight fit.

This is why this forum is amazing. Good help from people.

Veteran

Postby Andy » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:39 pm

Looks like its coming along nicely, well done for tackling it your self. Great to save another E46 too :-)

Veteran

Postby Andy » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:49 pm

Are you doing anything to strengthen the mounting points beneath the boot floor? I know when my old 328Ci was done by Dyno Torque they cut away that boot floor from one side to the other so they had access to the two mounts (one of which you have pictured above from inside the boot). Where you have cut a small square out, Dyno Torque cut away that whole section from the left side of the car to the right giving them access to the mounts.

If you don't stop the mounts from moving the cracks can reappear, even with the plates you will be welding on. Dyno Torque had several M3's in like this. They had been 'fixed' using plates etc.. but the actual mounts were left alone meaning a few months down the line cracks appeared again because the mounting points inside the chassis were still able to move.

Dyno Torque solve this by welding a bar between the left and right mounts inside the chassis and to the chassis keeping it all from moving and stopping the problem all together.

If you do a bit of research you will see one of the ways BMW 'solved' the problems on car's they recalled (mainly in the US) was to inject this section with some kind of epoxy. The reason BMW did this was in the hope it would stop the mounts from moving. Stop the mounts moving and you stop the cracks appearing.

Just something to think about...

Topic author
Veteran

Postby shabs » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:01 pm

Are you doing anything to strengthen the mounting points beneath the boot floor? I know when my old 328Ci was done by Dyno Torque they cut away that boot floor from one side to the other so they had access to the two mounts (one of which you have pictured above from inside the boot). Where you have cut a small square out, Dyno Torque cut away that whole section from the left side of the car to the right giving them access to the mounts.

If you don't stop the mounts from moving the cracks can reappear, even with the plates you will be welding on. Dyno Torque had several M3's in like this. They had been 'fixed' using plates etc.. but the actual mounts were left alone meaning a few months down the line cracks appeared again because the mounting points inside the chassis were still able to move.

Dyno Torque solve this by welding a bar between the left and right mounts inside the chassis and to the chassis keeping it all from moving and stopping the problem all together.

If you do a bit of research you will see one of the ways BMW 'solved' the problems on car's they recalled (mainly in the US) was to inject this section with some kind of epoxy. The reason BMW did this was in the hope it would stop the mounts from moving. Stop the mounts moving and you stop the cracks appearing.

Just something to think about...

Funny you should mention that, been looking in to all that last night. I was thinking of doing virtually the same as what you had done on your 328Ci, or looking in to the structural epoxy.

Phoned my local BMW today, asked them about it, and they had no clue what so ever and said they had not herd about E46 subframe cracking issue aha. So phoned another BMW who where helpful. Most forums I came across said the epoxy is NLA, but they said they have it in stock and the applicator gun required to fill it.

I have seen a few horrid M3's online, even after the reinforcement kits, so it is something I need to address. But i'm hoping as mine is only a 323, so not allot of power, I should have some time before I do the next stage of reinforcement. Although i should just really do it all at once.

Topic author
Veteran

Postby shabs » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:06 pm

Also on the left mount the welder said he will be welding that up and doing something to help it. So should give me some time to see if its going to be the epoxy or piece of metal from one side to the other, perhaps both?

I want to make it nice and strong and make sure I dont have the issues again, as plan on keeping her long term. Also who knows if shell always stay as a 323 ;) . Been having many ideas.

Veteran

Postby Andy » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:01 am

Sounds good mate, glad to hear you have already considered it. Be a real shame to do all the work underneath only to have it crack again.

Bmw dealer claiming they've never heard of the problem.... That's typical, don't want to admit it more like.

Topic author
Veteran

Postby shabs » Sun Jan 22, 2017 4:40 pm

Weldings done :)
IMG_2366.JPG
IMG_2366.JPG (48.85 KiB) Viewed 5506 times
That's what he did in the boot. Welded in a nice box section to add strength to it all.

And then this is the plates underneath after some grinding back and being hit with a wire wheel. I'm not that bothered about it being all smooth and pretty underneath. So I think I'll leave it at that. And just primer it and seam sealer etc.
IMG_2367.JPG
IMG_2367.JPG (242.05 KiB) Viewed 5506 times
IMG_2370.JPG
IMG_2370.JPG (254.54 KiB) Viewed 5506 times

Veteran

Postby Andy » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:01 pm

Work in boot looks good, she's getting there :-D

Topic author
Veteran

Postby shabs » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:58 am

Unfortunately she might be delayed. Currently sitting at the eye a&e. Although I wasn't looking at the welding arc when it was being done. I did catch it a few times through corner of my eye. They started burning aching all sorts last night. Went general a&e and had anaesthetics put in both eyes which helped for a while, and was told to come to the eye one in morning.

Let's see what they say. Did the usual and googled symptoms, we all try to be a google doc don't we aha. Says should hopefully clear up in about 2 days, but could require eye patches :(.

Never felt anything so bad before.

So a lesson to all, if your going to be near a welder, USE A WELDING MASK REGARDLESS!! Or stay away from it.

Veteran

Postby Casper » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:38 am

Unfortunately she might be delayed. Currently sitting at the eye a&e. Although I wasn't looking at the welding arc when it was being done. I did catch it a few times through corner of my eye. They started burning aching all sorts last night. Went general a&e and had anaesthetics put in both eyes which helped for a while, and was told to come to the eye one in morning.

Let's see what they say. Did the usual and googled symptoms, we all try to be a google doc don't we aha. Says should hopefully clear up in about 2 days, but could require eye patches :(.

Never felt anything so bad before.

So a lesson to all, if your going to be near a welder, USE A WELDING MASK REGARDLESS!! Or stay away from it.

That doesn't sound too good. Surprised you googled the symptoms...They all tend to say you have a couple of hours to live regardless what you have done :lol:

Topic author
Veteran

Postby shabs » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:58 pm

Google was more accurate. Spent all that time in a&e. By the time I walked out eyes improved drastically. The doc said will take about a month and gave a long course of several eye drops.

Came home. Said I'll sleep first then use the drops. But when I woke up, the only thing was still slight redness in eyes. And today it's as if nothing happened :D

So got to work on the car. Applied the seam sealer all over the plates. And tried to drill out the broken studs on exhaust. Didn't really get far with the studs except damaged the one good one left for one of the pipes :(
IMG_2385.JPG
IMG_2385.JPG (187.38 KiB) Viewed 5459 times
IMG_2387.JPG
IMG_2387.JPG (224.81 KiB) Viewed 5459 times
IMG_2389.JPG
IMG_2389.JPG (177.9 KiB) Viewed 5459 times

I applied another coat after the pics as noticed some bits where not covered, wish i went with the spray on sealer, not liking the looks of it aha, but oh well, its on the underneath. As it's cold, I'll let these dry over night before the stone chip.

Should hopefully get the bushes and new CSB tomorrow. Will also try and rent out a tool to remove the old bushes. Got the subframe and all the arms in the boot of the banger I'm using. Will save me loads of time if they have anything suitable.

Topic author
Veteran

Postby shabs » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:36 pm

Well shes back on the ground. All done. Will update the pics on here in next day or so.

But blimey. She hasn't felt this good in ages. Only went for a very short drive and out her back in the lock up. She'll stay there till I've done the rest of the work I plan to do. Got more time off work soon so will go back to her then

Topic author
Veteran

Postby shabs » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:14 pm

So the final pics of the work done. Didn't actually take pics of everything towards the end as needed her on the ground by weekend. So just kept on working hard.

So after the under seal it was a few coats of stone chip.
IMG_2396.JPG
IMG_2396.JPG (138.3 KiB) Viewed 5429 times
IMG_2398.JPG
IMG_2398.JPG (176.5 KiB) Viewed 5429 times
IMG_2399.JPG
IMG_2399.JPG (172.9 KiB) Viewed 5429 times
I did actually coat the whole area in stone chip. Just didn't take pics of it.

Next was start removing all the old bushes to fit these :)

I had already started putting primer on the subframe. As my mate said he should be able to get me a tool to remove the bushes. This wasn't the case. So ended up using a blow torch. I read online people where burning the rubber and pushing the insert and rubber out. I tried this method on one. Failed. Sat there burning for ages and just it wouldn't melt the rubber enough to get the insert out.

I found it easier to heat the subframe. Then using a hammer and a cold chisel to tap the bush out. As soon as I got it to move a tiny bit, it just fell out with about 3/4 more taps. Getting it to break free took a good few hard hits. Heated each one for about 5/10 mins using a regular plumbers blow torch.

Some of the bushes I was able to remove using some sockets and a threaded bar. This worked for the front diff ones, think I used the 36mm socket for oil filter as the pushing socket. And I had a kit for the trailing arm bushes, so used the cup from that as the receiver.

Once they where all out. Went back to painting it. I just painted it using stone chip. Then fitted the bushes. They are a amazing fit. Very easy to install as per most polly bushes.

Then the next things was basically reassembly. And installing and removing the other bushes. This is where pics really lack. So I'll just upload the ones I have. Oh also got a new CSB from bmw. With the butyl strip thing :)

The jack and wooden planks are there to support it as the front subframe bolts and support bracket was not put on as I forgot my torque wrench at home. So came back with it torqued everything. Then put the support bracket and the front subframe bolts on.

And that's the last of the pics for putting it back together.

I hope all that is a good read for you all, and hopefully you think it's good job aha.

Return to “Car Chit Chat”