Looks like you're not a member? Here at BMWBOX, we ♥ BMWs.

We’re a family full of enthusiasts from car detailing bods, performance freaks, photography experts and mechanical maniacs.

Looking for a new car...again!!

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Topic author
Veteran
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Looking for a new car...again!!

Postby R6HNN » Fri May 12, 2017 11:04 pm

So I've sold the E92 as it bored me to death. I'm on the lookout for something new that will keep me interested.
Initially I was looking for an E46 M3, E63 645i or an E61 530d. However after having my heart set on one particular M3, I started to think about subframe issues, which put me off. The E63 has plenty of electrical gremlins and the E61 suffers from swirl flap issues and dodgy gearboxes!

I'd like some ideas please, the requirements are as follows:
* upto £10k
* chain driven
* over 200bhp
* fun
* suitable for daily driving

As it stands I'm considering an Audi A5 3.0 TDI... don't let me do it.

Veteran

Re: Looking for a new car...again!!

Postby Brad Smith » Sat May 13, 2017 9:00 am

E46 M3 !! Don't be put of by subframe issues, if anything just factor that into your budget then get someone to look into it and sort it out and put those plates on then you know you've got a good one ! But after swapping my 330 for one I can tell you you won't get bored of this one. Power is fantastic and the drive is great. Definitely at least try one, that's what I thought I just want to own one and I'm so glad I have. Can't think of a better car for me ATM every time I drive it I feel it's an occasion.

Topic author
Veteran

Postby R6HNN » Sat May 13, 2017 9:25 am

E46 M3 !! Don't be put of by subframe issues, if anything just factor that into your budget then get someone to look into it and sort it out and put those plates on then you know you've got a good one ! But after swapping my 330 for one I can tell you you won't get bored of this one. Power is fantastic and the drive is great. Definitely at least try one, that's what I thought I just want to own one and I'm so glad I have. Can't think of a better car for me ATM every time I drive it I feel it's an occasion.
I've wanted an m3 since I was about 5, and I've nearly bought one three times now. Everyone I come close to putting the money down something puts me off. Last night I showed the mrs (who does know a fair bit about cars) a picture of the carbon black m3 I've been looking at and her exact words were "what's the difference between that and your old e46 for the price difference" and I felt pretty stupid saying it's essentially got a wider body and a faster engine, and that's why is double the price...

Veteran

Postby Brad Smith » Sat May 13, 2017 9:28 am

That's exactly what mine said and the majority of my family said. But at the end of the day I thought well it's me who wants the car, me who's going to drive it. Find a good one and you won't lose much if any money on it neither and you'll have a great time driving it. I was very close between the m3 or an e92 335i. I have to say I'm so glad I picked this, it's an M so it's a fantastic car to drive so much fun. But as for being the same as a 330 drive one and you'll soon figure it there completely different. I think if you don't get one you'll always think what if. I know I would've....

Postby SAW » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:34 am

It's a hell of a lot more than a wider body and faster engine.

Genuinely, for budget of approx £10k, you cannot IMO get better than an E46 M3.

Sold my first, regretted it instantly after handing over the keys, now back in one.

Only way I'd be happier is if it had an S85 V10 in it - but will most likely change to an M5 next year when I've finished having fun with the M3.

Return to “Car Chit Chat”