Looks like you're not a member? Here at BMWBOX, we ♥ BMWs.

We’re a family full of enthusiasts from car detailing bods, performance freaks, photography experts and mechanical maniacs.

Josh's Black Sapphire 330ci

Topic author
Veteran

Josh's Black Sapphire 330ci

Postby Straight6 josh » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:04 pm

I'm Back :D

This week I bought my 2nd 330ci, it's a Black Sapphire 330ci coupe 2005 plate in manual. It's covered a tiny 64k miles, has full service history and I am the 5th owner of its 12 year life. The car is completely standard, but it will not remain that way.

Bodywork is the highlight of this particular e46, it's in incredible condition.
The engine pulls strong and hard, it actually seems a little quicker than my previous 330ci.
The gearbox is vast improvement over my old 330, the gear shift is precise and feels much better. Clutch has plenty of life left in it.
The steering is tight and feels great, suspension is as it should be.

Bad points... this car was fitted with the HK sound system from the factory, for some reason mine is missing the sub that sits under the parcel shelf (I'll be picking one up for about £30-40 on eBay)
Slight bit of play in the lollipop bushes on the control arms, this is common. I replaced my previous ones with poly bushes. I'll be doing the same to this one.
That's pretty much it :)

Regarding when I'll be doing to this 330, I'll be ordering Coilovers soon. Looking at BC Racing the BR series. I'll be doing something to the exhaust (I forgot how quiet these cars are) Wheels will be changed at some point but not yet, I'll space these mv2's out for now.

First thing I did when I bought the car was buy a input Aux lead :lol: I've wired this behind the dash and through to the Ash tray. Pretty easy job.

Anyway some pictures.

I'll upload more later !
Sold my 330ci because i fell out of love with it ..... bought another 330ci :lol:

Veteran

Re: Josh's Black Sapphire 330ci

Postby Sanchez » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:12 pm

Looking good mate. The thing I miss the most about my E46 over my E92 is the H&K audio. What happened to the Imola one? Did you chop it in?
Crimson Red E92 325i M Sport.

Topic author
Veteran

Postby Straight6 josh » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:00 pm

Looking good mate. The thing I miss the most about my E46 over my E92 is the H&K audio. What happened to the Imola one? Did you chop it in?
Thanks man, yeh it's a vast improvement over the standard speakers.
Ahh yes my old imola 330 :cry:
Well, I was ready for a change so I put it up for sale. I ended up selling it to my best mate (never a good move) anyway long story short he crashed it :| it's currently awaiting a full respray now it's all been straightened.

I bought a winter run around for £500 and after 5 months I couldn't take any more so I started looking for another e46 :)

Ended up with this Gem !
Sold my 330ci because i fell out of love with it ..... bought another 330ci :lol:

Veteran

Postby Andy » Mon May 01, 2017 12:39 pm

Shame about your imola but it's eventual replacement looks nice. Look forward to watching its progress.

Promotions Officer

Postby Josh Mannion » Wed May 03, 2017 6:54 am

Looks like a top example that mate!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Postby Hawk » Wed May 03, 2017 6:36 pm

Looks like you've found a good un, some spacers and a drop will make it feel your own too.

Topic author
Veteran

Postby Straight6 josh » Thu May 04, 2017 9:03 am

Cheers lads,
Fitted some new bulbs last night, did the side lights, number plate lights and interior lights. Will be doing the dipped beam lights this afternoon. Looks much better, I opted for a bright white colour all round. Makes the car look much better. More of a modern look. I'll try and get some pics up tonight .
Hopefully be getting the exhaust done soon, I've bought another rear valanve to modify :shock: just to give a little more room for the exhaust tips :D I'll be going down to top gear performance in Doncaster to have a custom power flow system made. Stainless from the manifold back.
Coilovers hopefully next month and a few other little bits. Should also be swapping my private plate on this weekend too 8-)

Topic author
Veteran

Postby Straight6 josh » Sun May 07, 2017 4:29 pm

Small pic update

New bulbs on the left, old on right

New bulb

Old bulb

Photos don't really do it justice but you get the idea !
The rest of the interior bulbs should be here this week so I'll get some interior pics.

I've booked it in for a full stage 3 detail and ceramic coating in June 8-) paint work should look brand new when it's done :D

I've noticed the front tyres have cracking in the sidewalls, still a couple mm left on the tread. Probably due to it rarely being driven and spending a lot of its life sat in a garage.

Topic author
Veteran

Postby Straight6 josh » Mon May 15, 2017 8:34 am

Soooo... I made a start on these today

Very easy job to do, I did the same on my old bm. Pop the grills out and separate the two pieces.
I did This for two reasons, main reason being my grills are OEM and are a perfect fit unlike many aftermarket grills. Also this worked out a little cheaper than buying aftermarket grills.
Good sand down, and then just a tac wipe to get any dust and other sh**e off. 2 coats of primer followed up by 3 coats of gloss black. For some reason I don't have a photo of them in black yet. After the 3rd coat I left it to dry for a few hours. I then applied 2 coats of clear lacquer to protect them.

When I get back from work they should be set and ready to put back on the car.

I'm not the biggest fan of chrome, so this was an easy must do job for me.

Powerflex poly bushes for the front control arms should be here soon too. A job for next weekend

Topic author
Veteran

Postby Straight6 josh » Tue May 16, 2017 7:05 am

The other pics

I'll fit them tonight when I'm home from work

Veteran

Postby Berts » Tue May 16, 2017 8:42 am

I never realised the inside part could be re-moved , I'm guessing it will be the same with pre-facelift ones as well? I put off doing them because of the thought of masking up all the inside

Topic author
Veteran

Postby Straight6 josh » Wed May 17, 2017 8:52 am

I never realised the inside part could be re-moved , I'm guessing it will be the same with pre-facelift ones as well? I put off doing them because of the thought of masking up all the inside
They can be split on the facelift grills, I'm unsure about pre facelift though. I'd guess so but don't quote me. Makes the job much easier, the slats on my grills were chrome too so I painted both pieces

Veteran

Postby Berts » Wed May 17, 2017 10:46 am

Okay thanks will give it a go to see if works

Topic author
Veteran

Postby Straight6 josh » Wed May 17, 2017 8:47 pm

Pic of the black grills, not the best but you get the idea. Image

Veteran

Postby Andy » Thu May 18, 2017 7:03 am

Like the black grilles. I re painted mine recently too, mines a pre facelift and I can confirm they do split apart.

Veteran

Postby Berts » Thu May 18, 2017 10:07 am

Like the black grilles. I re painted mine recently too, mines a pre facelift and I can confirm they do split apart.
Thanks Andy for confirming that

Topic author
Veteran

Postby Straight6 josh » Sun May 21, 2017 4:00 pm

Poly bushes for the control arms went on today, much easier than the first time I ever tackled this job.

Jacked her up and wheels off

Next the under tray and and chassis brace had to come off, easy enough. There is now access to the bush.
I used a Hub puller (which I can't recommend enough !!!!!) wrapped the hooks round the bush housing and then wind the long thread against the end of the control arm.

I started with a few turns at a time, 4-6 turns then leave it for 30 or so seconds. Very easily the bush came off the control arm. Repeated for the other side.

Cleaned up the part of the control arm where the bush had been with some sand paper.
Slipped the new bush and carrier on and secured with the two bolts.
Refitted under tray and chassis brace, wheels back on and lowered back down.

In all honesty my bushes weren't too bad, had slight wheel wobble under breaking and going over bumps. Figured I'd do it now and never had to worry about them again ! Being powerflex they'll more than likely last the life of the car.

Boring update but a common issue on e46's !

Side repeaters next, mine are looking cloudy. Maybe get the led ones :?
Exhaust next month, along with some spacers

Topic author
Veteran

Postby Straight6 josh » Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:01 pm

Couple more boring updates..
Decided I'm going to do a full oil service, mainly for piece of mind ! You never know what oil the previous owner might have put in.
Placed an order and hopefully be doing it this weekend weather dependant !

Now, something more exciting :shock:
Today I bought a full leatherM3 interior ... and the colour ? ...
Kiwi !! Love it or hate it, it's one of my favourites ! Just behind cinnamon :lol:

Anyway I've bought it as sort of a little project for me to work on over the next month or so. It needs a little work to make it look as good as it deserves. Usual age related marks and a couple of crack marks. No rips or tares though ! One Motor need either fixing or replacing (not looked into it yet) Anyway I've ordered some dye and a repair kit. Hopefully be here next week !
I even managed to squeeze it in my e46 coupe ! Itso came with a full set of trim pieces so I'll be rubbing them down and spraying them in the glossiest black I can find ! Because I'm cheap and won't splash out on piano black trims :lol:
Carrying them upstairs was the hardest part
Safe to say the mrs won't be impressed

I'll get some better pics up when I've cleaned them up :lol:

Veteran

Postby Andy » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:08 pm

Those seats are going to look epic, especially against the black, do like kiwi leather in the right coloured bm.

Well done getting it all in your coupe n'all, must've been a challenge :D

Topic author
Veteran

Postby Straight6 josh » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:51 pm

Those seats are going to look epic, especially against the black, do like kiwi leather in the right coloured bm.

Well done getting it all in your coupe n'all, must've been a challenge :D
Yeh man theyll look awesome against the black 8-)
Yes it was quite a squeeze :lol: