Looks like you're not a member? Here at BMWBOX, we ♥ BMWs.

We’re a family full of enthusiasts from car detailing bods, performance freaks, photography experts and mechanical maniacs.

E90 M3 Silverstone II

Topic author
Veteran
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: E90 M3 Silverstone II

Postby irisheyes » Sat May 13, 2017 8:03 pm

I’ll wait for a certain person to pop along and say – “Oi mate, I know what those friggin things are”

E90 M3 S65 4.0, Silverstone II, Black Novillo, 19" double spoke, EDC

Veteran
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Casper » Sun May 21, 2017 1:40 pm

Oi mate, I know what those friggin things are!! Ha Ha

Our friend the Throttle Actuator. You replacing the gears or putting new ones in?
///BMW M3 Monte Carlo Edition DCT/// Build Thread - Instagram - lord.casper

Topic author
Veteran

Postby irisheyes » Thu May 25, 2017 8:47 pm

Our friend the Throttle Actuator. You replacing the gears or putting new ones in?
BMWI weren't particular forthcoming or helping with subsidising the components so I had them removed and sent to our TA friend.
TA1 was showing up bad but decided to get the two of them done while the 'bonnet' was open so to speak and were repaired mid March.

Topic author
Veteran

Postby irisheyes » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:27 pm

Hi guys,

Got the wheels polished yesterday and they looking good. I might get the rest of the car polished and waxed to bring out the shine again while I’m in the mood.

Now the bad news. A few months ago a guy in the company car park came up to me and said he tapped in to the bumper of the M while he was reversing out. Went out and had a quick look then but a more thorough look afterwards.

I’d say he gave it a slightly larger wallop than the initial look indicated. There are two scratches, one about 8 inches long and a shorter one as in the picture below. The second is to the right of the round blanking panel.

Then looking further down, I noticed there’s a crease again about 8 inches long which you can see in this photo. There’s also a crease on the top surface of the bumper but not shown. Although they are there, they aren’t as noticeable as the scratch.

My first problem is an aversion to getting the whole bumper resprayed. Or even any part if I'm honest. I’d have preferred to keep it original so one option is not to do anything. Likewise don’t know whether I want to live with the scratches or creases either.

Spoke to one dealer who indicated that the bumper can repaired and re-sprayed (the whole bumper) or another option is to get a new bumper which would be nearly twice as much.

I spoke to another party and he said he’d remove and strip the bumper, repair and only repaint the areas affected but would lacquer the whole bumper when finished.

I don’t want to go overboard and the guy would prefer not to go through insurance so I’m sorta stuck in trying to decide on what to do. Stick or twist.

Veteran

Postby Casper » Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:49 am

I had half a bumper sprayed once and the job was brilliant. couldn't even remeber where the damage was! cost me £100. mates rates. doubt that will help you though since your accross the water :)

Topic author
Veteran

Postby irisheyes » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:14 pm

I had half a bumper sprayed once and the job was brilliant. couldn't even remeber where the damage was! cost me £100. mates rates. doubt that will help you though since your accross the water :)
I hope it was the same colour :-)

Franchised dealer is looking for €850, a (reputable) crash repairer about €550-€600 but it's the whole bumper. Another party indicated that they'd do it for less for only spraying part. Still don't know what to do.

Veteran

Postby Casper » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:20 pm

I hope it was the same colour :-)

Franchised dealer is looking for €850, a (reputable) crash repairer about €550-€600 but it's the whole bumper. Another party indicated that they'd do it for less for only spraying part. Still don't know what to do.
Did you get this sorted in the end?

Topic author
Veteran

Postby irisheyes » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:57 am

Did you get this sorted in the end?
Eh, No, Still looking at it. Been too busy lately.

I think I'll probably have to do it so it'll be a toss up between doing the whole bumper or just re-spraying the area around the scratches and hope it 'blends in' OK

Topic author
Veteran

Postby irisheyes » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:09 pm

Hi y'all.

Been a bit quiet.

Still have the M and eventually decided to get the bumper repaired and resprayed last month. Looking quite well now.

I came across this video by accident. Looks like two American Wheeler Dealer Wannabes where 'Mike Wannabe' purchased an E90 M3 with the EML on and 'Edd Wannabe' replaced a TA along with other items as well. And made money doing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O99tyKnkBh4

PS - Not sure if I should have pasted this here or under the electrical and maintenance section.

Return to “The Showroom (for BMWs)”