Looks like you're not a member? Here at BMWBOX, we ♥ BMWs.

We’re a family full of enthusiasts from car detailing bods, performance freaks, photography experts and mechanical maniacs.

Josh's Black Sapphire 330ci

Topic author
Veteran

Re: Josh's Black Sapphire 330ci

Postby Straight6 josh » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:30 am

So my Dye and sealer turned up this saturday

Got all the bits now so ill be making a start on these over the next few days.

Gave it its first wash this weekend since i had it detailed... practically pampered it, was so nervous about making swirls in the paint :lol: didnt help the fact it was sunny and pretty warm on Sunday too so whenever i washed a panel it had nearly bloody dried by the time i came to rinse it. joys of a black car on sunny days. im also in need of a new microfiber drying towel :?
After washing it i noticed the rear valance looked sort of sun damaged, just looks like its fading. doesnt seem to bad on pictures but its not great when the rest of the car looks so good.

what do you guys recon to spraying it up in gloss black ? not sure if it would look tacky... id love a carbon fiber one but thats not really an option at the minute.

Wont be any big changes soon, my insurance is due in 2 months so im currently saving for that. MOT is in November and i want to get 4 new tires soon.
Sold my 330ci because i fell out of love with it ..... bought another 330ci :lol:

CEO (Founder)

Postby Jamie » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:03 pm

Matt Black the diffuser that's what I've done. Gloss black looks a bit like it's been in a rear bump n they just sprayed the whole lot because they couldn't be arsed masking it up :lol:
2005 Titan Silver e85 Z4 3.0i se
2005 Sapphire Black e46 320cd Sport

Instagram - jay_bmw_

Topic author
Veteran

Postby Straight6 josh » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:00 am

Figured I'd drop a quick update on the seats, been mad busy these past few weeks so progress is slow. Should hopefully have more time on them now!

Made some good progress on Sunday, decided to start with the smallest piece for my first go so I did one of the rear headrests. The leather on these was in ok condition, the only issue was the dye was faded and peeling off due to being in the sun.

Started by giving them a good rub down with a very fine abrasive pad. Then gave it a good wipe over with some clean warm water. Next I used the GT12 intensive cleaner, I worked this in gently with a typical kitchen sponge with the green abrasive side. This alone made a notable difference. After a 5 or so mins I wiped the surface clean with a warm damp cloth. Next I degreased the piece using the degreaser provided. As final prep I used the EP1&2, these when mixed together make a perfect base to spray the dye on to. 2 coats of this, and while the 2nd coat is drying it's recommended to lay down the first coat of dye. I filtered the dye through an old thin top I had, Started with the dye at around 30% water for the first and second coat and then diluted to about 40-50% water for the rest. I applied using an airbrush linked up to a small compressor. Got a feel for it by just testing on a big piece of cardboard. I used an old hair dryer to dry the dye quicker. After 4 coats the coverage looked great, I dried the final coat and then used the GT3 matte sealer. The dye does have a built in sealer however it was recommended that I use the matte sealer on top of this as well. I applied 3 thin coats of this. After drying the headrest was about done.

All things considered it looks great, colour looks spot on and the colour is even all over. I'll add some pics below of the headrest I had done and the other one that hadn't been done.

Pleased with the results I made a start on the other headrest. This one turned out equally as good.
I then started on the rear bench, figured I'd go from the smallest piece to the largest ! This obviously took a bit longer however the process was the same. I finished the 2nd coat on the bench then I had to call it a day. I'll be going down after work today to apply 2 more coats and the sealant.

Sold my 330ci because i fell out of love with it ..... bought another 330ci :lol:

Veteran

Postby Sanchez » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:27 am

Looking good, mate. The headrests at least look brand new from that picture.
Crimson Red E92 325i M Sport.

Topic author
Veteran

Postby Straight6 josh » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:56 pm

Finally an update !

The Interior is done ... it looks great im very happy with how its all turned out. Ill try and get some pics up later. the pics i have dont really do it justice. the lighting in the shed is shite so you cant really see the true colour.

Very happy i have done this ... but i will NEVER do it again. so much work goes into a job like this, especially if you actually want them too look good and to last ! ive put around 30+ hours into it all together. but yeh overall im very happy with how they've turned out. theres a few progress pics on my instagram.
Ill hopefully fit it this coming weekend. there are a few little bits i need to do whilst swapping the interior over. one of the motors in my new seats is shagged so i need to remove that and fit one thats on my old seat. ill probably give the carpets a good shampoo whilst all the interiors out too. i also plan on doing something with my interior trims that came with the interior. maybe spray them up in gloss black.

picked up my old spacers the other day too off my old red e46. unfortunately he's lost the extended bolts so ive ordered some new ones. will have them on this weekend.

Also just got dry fisted by the car insurance company, got my renewal through and it was double what i paid last year. needless to say i told them where to go and got a new policy elsewhere. last year was £950 and got it for £900 this year.

Can actually start putting some money aside for car parts now :D

Veteran

Postby 748adam » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:32 pm

Can't wait to see pictures Josh, one thing in common that everyone I know that has dyed seats has said (me, Jamie, Daz and a few others) is NEVER again :lol:

Topic author
Veteran

Postby Straight6 josh » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:15 pm

Couple photos here. I'll be sure to get some good ones up over the weekend. First time I've ever removed and fitted and interior on an e46. Sort of straight forward really, the only thing I struggled with was trying to get the door cards back on without mashing them little plastic clip/rivet things.

The drivers seat had a faulty motor (the one that moves the seat back and forth) so I used the one off my old seats. Apparently they must have changed the connectors at some point for the motors during the e46s life as the connectors on the new seats were different to my old ones. Anyway I cut the connectors off and soldered the ones on that I needed. Fitted the rail to the seat and plugged everything back in. The threads in the floor that the bolts go through aren't very good. I ended up running a tap through the holes to make a good thread. Everything else went smoothly.

Very happy with the results
The rear door cards
Old and new seats when I was swapping the motor over
The old connector that I had to swap
And the one I replaced it with
And one seat

Like I say I'll try and get some proper pics on over the weekend

Topic author
Veteran

Postby Straight6 josh » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:37 pm

Due to englands s**t weather I got no pics....

Topic author
Veteran

Postby Straight6 josh » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:02 pm

Finally
Gave it a good wash on Sunday, I also need a new microfibre drying towel. Was plagued by water marks because the slightest bit of sun was out :x

Loving the seats, looks great against the black and there also much nicer to sit in than the old msport seats.
Interior wise I'm wanting the steering wheel retrimmed and a new gear knob, I also have some interior trims to rub down and paint up in gloss black.
But before all that I need some new tyres before I end up with 6 points on my licence :lol: 2 rear tyres next week and 2 fronts next month. Will probably end up getting Goodyear Eagle F1 aysemetric's 8-)

Veteran

Postby bennn » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:02 am

Looks good dude and works well with the black! I was thinking piano black trims before I even read what you wrote! :)

Topic author
Veteran

Postby Straight6 josh » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:11 am

Thanks man, yeh I like the idea of piano black !

Small update, got my rear tyres done 255/35 GoodYear Eagle F1's. First time I've ran these and so far so good !

Fitted new handbreak shoes over the weekend too as mine had started to fall apart inside the disc making a horrible noise ...

Front tyres next month then it's mot prep time !

Postby Gaz777 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:03 am

Great work on those seats Josh, they look very nice against the black as you say.