Looks like you're not a member? Here at BMWBOX, we ♥ BMWs.

We’re a family full of enthusiasts from car detailing bods, performance freaks, photography experts and mechanical maniacs.

DIY: BMW M3 E92 (S65) Throttle Actuator Gear Replacement

Topic author
Veteran

Re: DIY: BMW M3 E92 (S65) Throttle Actuator Gear Replacement

Postby Casper » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:29 pm

If it's down at 4.5 it's definitely limp. Pissed atm and take away just arrived. Will read post again when I wake/sober up Ha. Do you have a code reader?
I love Casper's dedication to still replying even when pissed! :lol:
Exactly. I was just about to say the same thing.

The error has disappeared and it's running properly not so I don't think they'd be able to pick off any error codes at this stage.
And consequently no real indication if it is one of TA's or even which one is the likely culprit.

I'll have to wait for another few months for it to happen again.
Morning. Ha Ha. The error codes will still be there. Treat yourself to a little code reader off eBay. Very handy. Can read and clear codes. Once you have read them erase all codes and when it goes back into limp mode it will say what caused it even if starts working again properly.
///BMW M3 Monte Carlo Edition DCT/// Build Thread - Instagram - lord.casper

Veteran

Postby irisheyes » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:35 pm

Morning. Ha Ha. The error codes will still be there. Treat yourself to a little code reader off eBay. Very handy.
Would you like to suggest a unit/make/model and I'l investigate same?

From what I understand after the last episode, once the error cleared itself, the system didn't appear to hold on to it in any form of logs so reading afterwards didn't show anything at all :(
E90 M3 S65 4.0, Silverstone II, Black Novillo, 19" double spoke, EDC

Topic author
Veteran

Postby Casper » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:47 pm

Morning. Ha Ha. The error codes will still be there. Treat yourself to a little code reader off eBay. Very handy.
Would you like to suggest a unit/make/model and I'l investigate same?

From what I understand after the last episode, once the error cleared itself, the system didn't appear to hold on to it in any form of logs so reading afterwards didn't show anything at all :(
I have the C110 scanner. Does the job! I can assure you the even if the fault does disappear your ECU will still have a log of the fault codes. They will only disappear if you clear them yourself.

Veteran

Postby irisheyes » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:42 am

Cheers buddy. Had a quick look. It's specifically for BMW's.
Looks like the OBD connector cable is fixed to the device so nothing else is needed?

Rich :-)

Topic author
Veteran

Postby Casper » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:05 am

Cheers buddy. Had a quick look. It's specifically for BMW's.
Looks like the OBD connector cable is fixed to the device so nothing else is needed?

Rich :-)
Yeah you don't need anything else. Won't be able to do complex stuff but is quite easy to use. Handy for reading and erasing codes and it's cheap. One thing I would say is sometimes the code description is in German so I just threw it in Google translator lol

Veteran

Postby irisheyes » Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:59 pm

Mr. C, I assume you made it over to Temple Bar in June to swap a few TA's ? ;)

CEO (Founder)

Postby Darren » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:34 pm

I heard he's still in bed recovering. Even made Jamie go out to get something from his car the other day 'cos he couldn't be arsed! :lol:

ImageImageImageImage

Topic author
Veteran

Postby Casper » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:50 pm

I heard he's still in bed recovering. Even made Jamie go out to get something from his car the other day 'cos he couldn't be arsed!
Ha, Yeah did survive Temple Bar. Was a good do. Glad all my Holidays are done for a while. Did Portugal, Slovakia and Dublin in the space of a month :S and Slovakia was only 1.2 Euro a pint. Little bit different to Dublin.

...and the only reason why Jamie got the keys is because I was sneaking out early for a free lunch at the pub and didn't have time to hang about! Priorities fella ;)

Speaking of Jamie...did he mention about realising he had lost his car keys just before he clocked out of work? Searched high and low. In my department, the trap where he had a crap etc to then realise they were in the ignition of his car all along! Ha Ha

CEO (Founder)

Postby Darren » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:51 pm

Speaking of Jamie...did he mention about realising he had lost his car keys just before he clocked out of work? Searched high and low. In my department, the trap where he had a crap etc to then realise they were in the ignition of his car all along! Ha Ha
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

NO! He never mentioned that at all hahahahaha

ImageImageImageImage

CEO (Founder)

Postby Jamie » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:25 am

:embarrassed:
2005 Titan Silver e85 Z4 3.0i se
2005 Sapphire Black e46 320cd Sport

Instagram - jay_bmw_

Postby MonteM3 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:22 pm

Just found this topic and it sounds like my cars problem, recently took it to BMW and they wanted to replace the valve actuators for over £2.5K!! The second bank Lambda sensor is also faulty, so i've ordered that to replace myself.. i don't suppose you know where the second bank sensor is located?

Topic author
Veteran

Postby Casper » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:57 pm

Just found this topic and it sounds like my cars problem, recently took it to BMW and they wanted to replace the valve actuators for over £2.5K!! The second bank Lambda sensor is also faulty, so i've ordered that to replace myself.. i don't suppose you know where the second bank sensor is located?
Sorry pal not sure about the lambda sensors. Where are you located pal? Try looking in America for new throttle actuators. Much cheaper and they really arn't hard to fit. Or take a gamble. Get some gears and repair them yourself. That is also reasonably easy with this guide.

Postby MonteM3 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:36 pm

I'm based in Berkshire, near Bracknell. Great guide btw, bit daunting taking it all apart. The fault is actually quite intermittent, literally may happen 1 in 50 start ups, fixes by turning the engine off and on again and it's fine.

M3 E92 (S65) Throttle Actuator Gear Replacement

Postby drcarr » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:26 am

thanks for those who have gone before me!
my 08 e90 m3 just threw the dreaded throttle actuator codes.
i am debating buying 2 new tva's vs. replacing the gears in the current tva's from odometergears.com.
any thoughts on which option?
i am inclinded to try to replace the gears as this is the cheaper option... and if it doesn't solve the problem then i am only out of pocket $225 vs $2000.
thanks for the help...
ps. im in the usa

Topic author
Veteran

Re: M3 E92 (S65) Throttle Actuator Gear Replacement

Postby Casper » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:46 am

thanks for those who have gone before me!
my 08 e90 m3 just threw the dreaded throttle actuator codes.
i am debating buying 2 new tva's vs. replacing the gears in the current tva's from odometergears.com.
any thoughts on which option?
i am inclinded to try to replace the gears as this is the cheaper option... and if it doesn't solve the problem then i am only out of pocket $225 vs $2000.
thanks for the help...
ps. im in the usa
Hay! I know allot of people in the USA have managed to get them replaced for free by BMW if you car has done less then 70k miles. I know each state is different but it might be something to look at before paying anything out. But I would personally try the replacing the gears first. If you use this guide it is quite an easy job. Good luck!

Postby drcarr » Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:50 pm

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately mine has 79k miles :(
I will try the gears first. I have to replace the thermostat as well.
While I am all the way in there is there anything else I should do? Spark plugs or water pump or?

Topic author
Veteran

Postby Casper » Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:25 pm

I would give your throttle body's a clean and see when you spar plugs are due for changing. Mine didn't have that many miles on them so I left them.

Postby ibradford » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:29 am

Hi guys. first post on here.
recently had the same issue with an M3 S65.
Bank 1 throttle actuator was throwing up faults intermittently.
searched around online for a solution and came across rebuild.org.uk.
bought replacement gears from them for both actuators and replaced both as they were warn equally.
unfortunately that didn't fix the issue.
spoke to Jason Bayliff at rebuild.org.uk and he helped an awful lot.
I sent the actuator with the fault to him, £12 next day delivery.
he phoned the next day to say that he's had a look at it and he knew what the fault was in the board and stated that he's very confident he can repair it....worse comes to worse he'd sell me a new board for £300.
this guy has designed and built all of his testing equipment and has a fantastic business!
within 48 hours of me putting the actuator in the post it was repaired and returned ready to go back in the car for a fraction of the price I could find anywhere else.
such brilliant service and they give you great piece of mind with updates.
would definitely recommend www.rebuild.org.uk to everyone with this issue with throttle actuators. give them a ring and they'll be more then happy to help or at least point you in the right direction.

Postby C4RTA » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:33 am

Hi, I know this post is about a year old now but I had to share.... I must say I had the dreaded warning lights etc come on my e92 M3 a couple of months back. I took it to BMW for a diagnostics test (cost me £99) and found that it had three faults while it was in, internal fault with DSC, throttle actuator fault and an oil leak on the pinion seal.

I got quoted... wait for it.... £4022.17 to fix all three issues.

Now with this post being about the throttle actuator I will focus on that...

Breaking down BMW's costings the actuator fix came in at £696.48 for the part and £314.36 for labour... this was plus VAT so coming in at £1213 in total!! AND this was to replace ONE actuator with new, not both!.

So, with the whole "£4022!!!!!!" I started looking around!

I found a website... http://www.rebuild.org.uk that deals with actuators and spoke to Jason from there on how it all worked... you can see on the website what options you have for repair procedures etc but I went with getting the actuators removed by my own mechanic then sent off to Jason to be refurbed!

WELL.... I must say, I am impressed!

I got a call on a Wednesday afternoon from my mechanic saying he had taken the actuators off, so I went and picked them straight up. I rang Jason and explained that I had them off and ready to send, he explained that if I paid up front he promised me a quick turn around. This is obviously not something I would do in any circumstance but I needed the car sorted out fairly sharp so I agreed!

WOW... I sent the actuators by Royal Mail special delivery (from County Durham to Kent and cost me £27 and was Insured for £1000) at around 15:30 on the same Wednesday and had them back in my house by 12pm on the FRIDAY! Could not believe the turn around on this, and neither could my mechanic!

And obviously what everyone will be wondering is how much... not including postage.. £470 for TWO refurbished actuators with a lifetime guarantee! This guy saved me £743!!! And remember BMW wanted £1213 for ONE new actuator!

So in a nut shell... unless you're minted.... don't be going to BMW and having your eyes ripped out! Speak to this guy!

http://www.rebuild.org.uk/

P.S I also had the DSC Unit refurbed for around £300. Overall I have paid under £1000 to get my car fixed from my own mechanic and the two companies I used to get the parts refurbished!! Better than BMW's £4022 to fix it!

Best Regards,

C4RTA

Topic author
Veteran

Postby Casper » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:17 pm

Hi, I know this post is about a year old now but I had to share.... I must say I had the dreaded warning lights etc come on my e92 M3 a couple of months back. I took it to BMW for a diagnostics test (cost me £99) and found that it had three faults while it was in, internal fault with DSC, throttle actuator fault and an oil leak on the pinion seal.

I got quoted... wait for it.... £4022.17 to fix all three issues.

Now with this post being about the throttle actuator I will focus on that...

Breaking down BMW's costings the actuator fix came in at £696.48 for the part and £314.36 for labour... this was plus VAT so coming in at £1213 in total!! AND this was to replace ONE actuator with new, not both!.

So, with the whole "£4022!!!!!!" I started looking around!

I found a website... http://www.rebuild.org.uk that deals with actuators and spoke to Jason from there on how it all worked... you can see on the website what options you have for repair procedures etc but I went with getting the actuators removed by my own mechanic then sent off to Jason to be refurbed!

WELL.... I must say, I am impressed!

I got a call on a Wednesday afternoon from my mechanic saying he had taken the actuators off, so I went and picked them straight up. I rang Jason and explained that I had them off and ready to send, he explained that if I paid up front he promised me a quick turn around. This is obviously not something I would do in any circumstance but I needed the car sorted out fairly sharp so I agreed!

WOW... I sent the actuators by Royal Mail special delivery (from County Durham to Kent and cost me £27 and was Insured for £1000) at around 15:30 on the same Wednesday and had them back in my house by 12pm on the FRIDAY! Could not believe the turn around on this, and neither could my mechanic!

And obviously what everyone will be wondering is how much... not including postage.. £470 for TWO refurbished actuators with a lifetime guarantee! This guy saved me £743!!! And remember BMW wanted £1213 for ONE new actuator!

So in a nut shell... unless you're minted.... don't be going to BMW and having your eyes ripped out! Speak to this guy!

http://www.rebuild.org.uk/

P.S I also had the DSC Unit refurbed for around £300. Overall I have paid under £1000 to get my car fixed from my own mechanic and the two companies I used to get the parts refurbished!! Better than BMW's £4022 to fix it!

Best Regards,

C4RTA
Glad you got it sorted in the end. :)

Yeah once the actuators are off it only takes 10min. Quite an easy job. I have done it for quite a few people since. Its amazing how a job that took me 8 hours first time round I can now do in well under an hour. :lol: